It’s the concept of "one strike, you're out!" that I find amazing. What
constitutes a mistake serious enough to put someone's livelihood at stake?
With that kind of pressure hanging over anyone, how can they be expected to
learn, and grow and enhance the company they're working for?

I think we've all seen enough horror stories over the years, where a
command, or parameter has been entered in error, but from those horror
stories, procedures got tightened, people were educated, things got better.
People learn from mistakes, and go on to pass on their findings to their
colleagues, to their peers and people act on that, and learn and improve.

If you hang a sword of Damocles like that over everyone within an
organisation, nothing would get done.

Within a programming environment, has anyone ever written a 100% bug-free
piece of code, that has lasted for all eternity, never once needing to be
optimized or re-compiled or re-linked? Are bugs that are exposed over time
by new releases of the operating system, or various subsystems classed as
being serious enough to have your job and reputation absolutely caned? I
just think it’s a nonsense concept and a nonsense approach.

"Oh, that's a typo right there, on the console. It's been nice working with
you, take some typing lessons next time, and leave your card on the table.
Bye!"

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:35