Jerry,
You're right, it can be done in a lab. I've seen it done in a lab.

>From my short experience in such a configuration, you should be aware of at
least these basic issues:
- You will need an additional program on top of SDSF to be able to view
JES3's spool. I know (E)JES supports JES3 and JES2 as well. I seem to recall
they had a usermod that changed (E)JES's behavior to ask you against which
subsystem you wish to work before invoking (E)JES for real.
- If your two JES3 images are not at the same JES3 level, you might need to
keep two copies of the (E)JES libraries (or some other program you use for
viewing the spool). I remember that (E)JES's ENV mod uses JES3's macro
library, which changes from one JES3 level to the other.
- They also changed TSO/E to ask you using which JES subsystem to logon. I
think this code was published in an old Redbook, but sadly I can't find it
now on the Redbooks web site.

Hope this helps,
Gil.