On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:02:42 -0400, Dan Espen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Lots of shops, no disk.
>Even with a disk, the sort program was loaded from cards.
>I seem to remember the sort program being huge and the input
>being stuffed into the middle of the deck.
>
>Then you had to modify the receiving program to read disk instead
>of tape.

Sorting files too big for disks wasn't a problem that ended in the
card-sorter days.    The interesting one is when the files to be
sorted were multiple tape files.

The solution was to sort what could fit on a tape - repeating on
multiple tapes until the file was spread about a bunch of sorted
tapes.   Then merge the tape files.   Hopefully we had enough tape
drives for  all of the tapes to be merged in one pass.