>If there are Vsam clusters on this volume would they be accessible?

Yes. You would still have to ensure that they were catalogued, but the VVDS and
VTOCIX names are just qualifiers.
And, they are irrelevent to the VTOC name.

I asked this question in the early 1980's (way pre-SMS) and I have seen the
same name promulgated all over the shop as volumes were moved around.

As long as you don't catalogue them, a VTOCIX (or VVDS) name is meaningless.
It just has to have a name so it can be accessed.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!