Does a copy of PL/S from IBM exist anywhere in the public domain?
Or would there be somewhere on a z/OS mainframe system I could find a
sample of the code?

This is what I found on Wikipedia:

PL/S, short for Programming Language/Systems, is a "machine-oriented"
programming language based on PL/I. It was developed by IBM in the late
1960s as a replacement for assembly language on internal software projects;
it included support for inline assembly and explicit control over register
usage.

Early projects using PL/S were the batch utility, IEHMOVE, and the Time
Sharing Option of MVT, TSO.

THANX in advance,
Mark