On 1 Nov 2007 17:43:12 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main Ed Gould wrote:

>On Nov 1, 2007, at 6:56 PM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>

>> LE-independent, I see.  Would it likewise be independent of
>> Run Time Library license encumbrances, so ISVs could distribute
>> compiled code to customers without the compiler licensed, and
>> free of prelinker entanglements so the full facility of SMP/E
>> maintenance with fine granularity could be exploited?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> gil
>
>Paul,
>
>As you probably know I am NOT an LE fan. That being said, I would
>think it would be close to impossible to come up with a "subroutine"
>library that could be common across all the products that you would
>envision. Trying to maintain something that is OS release independent
>and language independent. Especially if you envision this to be cross
>vendor as it is POSITIVELY will come up, that it will work with one
>release of a vendors product and not with another's release. The
>complications of trying to do so would, IMO would be close to
>impossible. IBM can't do it themselves with LE what makes you think
>when you add other vendors it could be done?
>
>IBM did a half way credible job with the old cobol subroutine library
>it really did work across many versions of MVS  without any issue I
>ever heard of. The PC weenies thought they could do it with LE and
>they fell flat on their faces.

Don't blame PC weenies for LE.  It was most probably in response to
the Guide/SHARE (or SHARE/Guide) Language Futures Task Force which was
co-chaired by John Ehrman and someone from Guide.  I was a member of
that task force with most participants more knowledgeable than me and
am suffering a senior moment because I don't remember the names of
most of the participants.  This task force met in the early 1980's..

>Perhaps if it did not call on any system services it would be
>possible but then there are some services are so tightly ingrained
>that anything changed would create versioning issues, UGH!
>
>Ed

Clark Morris