I ran into this in preliminary testing before 1.9 was sent out.  I ended up
making changes to our SyzSpool spool offload program and our Command
processing facility (SyzCmdZ) to get around the problem.  It's not an "every
time" type of problem, and the problems (I didn't see any S0C4's) were low
impact.  I'm sure that the other vendors have also made allowances in their
applications as well.  I wish IBM had come forward earlier when I reported
the problem, but typically vendor complaints don't get the weight that a
user gets.  At the time we had several clients who were already planning on
testing out 1.9 so I couldn't wait for an IBM fix anyway.

It turns out that the fix from level 2 does allow me to remove my code, but
I'll leave it in place for the time being as it doesn't hurt to have it in
and I never liked the idea of telling the customers that they have to apply
maintenance to use our products.;)

Brian Westerman
Syzygy Incorporated