Jumping from 4  to 25 Gb isn't a good idea, but if I have 4 Gb used and 4
unused I think there's no difference in adding, say, 2 Gb (so using 6 Gb
as total). Consider we have bursts or spikes in paging and for instance
our DB2 isn't performing well even if 'all runs well' as someone say.

Anyway is there any rule of thumb, having z/OS 1.7, for max central
storage ? I mean, is there a suggested value to avoid RSM overhead before
z/OS 1.8 (1 Gb ? 5, 10 or which value for central storage) ?

Thank you in advance

Max Scarpa

Mark Zelden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
07/11/2007 17.30
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>

IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Real storage usage - a quick question

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 10:22:30 -0500, Veilleux, Jon L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>In 1.7 RSM took more CPU when we increased our real storage since it had
>to look at every frame for the UIC. It's a simple equation, more frames
>more CPU to scan them for their UIC. Our performance area noticed that
>there was an increase. I believe that it showed up as uncaptured CPU or
>MVS usage under OMEGAMON CPU utilization.

Exactly.  So if you are running below z/OS 1.8 and aren't paging, don't
just add 25G of storage because you have it laying around doing nothing
since you upgraded your processor and added all the "cheap" memory.

We've discussed this before.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden