On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 09:57:47 -0600, Paul Gilmartin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 11:37:15 -0500, Pinnacle  wrote:
>>
>>Run the UNLOAD command to get the DDDEF's in UCLIN format.  Then you'll have
>>to hack the UCLIN yourself to add VOLUME and UNIT parms, and run the UCLIN
>>through SMP/E.
>>
>What data sets will SMP/E create NEW?

SYSUT1-4, SMPWRK1-6 (SMPWRK5 no longer used IIRC).
I guess SMPPUNCH or any of the "sysout" DDs could be, but
they really should be MOD if DASD.   I have seen SMPLOG/SMPLOGA
allocated as new also when people don't care about keeping the
logs or just from vendors who provide samples and just don't
know better.

>If SMP/E creates the data sets, must SPACE be specified also?

Defaults taken from the system (ALLOCxx, SMS), so no but you
most likely want to.

>Is UNIT necessary?  Won't SMP/E or DYNALLOC infer the UNIT from
>a default if VOLSER is specified?

If you use UNIT you need VOLSER as far as I know.  Just like
you do with JCL.

>If the data sets are created by some other mechanism prior
>to SMP/E, won't SMP/E obtain the VOLUME and UNIT from the
>catalog?

If you use DISP=OLD or SHR.

>Why would anyone ever use uncatalogued data sets?

Typically for "MVS" maintenance SMP/E zones to access something other
than the running system.   But I have seen it done for vendor products
also (even non SYSRES).   Obviously this doesn't work for SMS controlled
DSNs.

>If I am designing sample JCL/UCLIN for customers, should I
>provide VOLUME (and UNIT) templates in the UCLIN?  I'd
>supply VOL=SER= in JCL, but commented out.  I'd supply
>UNIT as a SET symbol.
>
>What granularity of VOLUME would customers desire:
>
>o A different VOLUME for each zone?

Typically by zone / type (for those that aren't using SMS for the whole
thing).    Also, some prefer to have the SMP/E dsns as there own
HLQ / volsers, so that can be separate.

&TGTVOL  &TGTUNIT &TGTHLQ
&DLBVOL  &DLBUNIT &DLBHLQ
&SMPVOL  &SMPUNIT &SMPHLQ

That should give most shops the flexibility they need.  But you
should also have something for STORCLAS in your allocation JCL
samples for those that SMS control the HLQs because volume will be
ignored.  Since most people deal with cataloged data sets for ISV
software, having UNIT / VOLSER in the DDDEFs can be comments
and  SHR or OLD would work.

>o A different VOLUME for each data set?

No.  But that could happen with SMS control, but who cares.

>o Should VSAM be separated from PS from PDS from PDSE?

Only VSAM are the SMP/E zones.  Covered above.

Prior to non-SMS PDSE it made sense to possibly keep that separate.
Now, it doesn't matter.  I assume if someone has HLQ=whatever and
VOLSER=whatever for all the other data sets (if not under SMS control),
they want them all in the same place.  I know I do.

HTH,

Mark
--
Mark Zelden