I'm sure I can page this stuff back in if I have to. :-)

But for now suffice it to say that BLSR postdates Hiperbatch and the
latter didn't unfortunately gain enough speed to get airborne i.e. have a
subsequent release (maybe even of the docs). :-(

It's certainly true that LSR access causes the effect you mention. And
BLSR is just a delivery mechanism for LSR. And for the purposes of this
conversation I'd say VSAM LSR is sufficiently different from VSAM NSR for
this to be no real surprise. Granted the data underneath is the same  -
else you wouldn't have gotten into this situation - but the buffering
algorithm is totally different.

Not defending this, just shedding some perspective on it. And I know there
are other people on IBM-MAIN who have their own experiences of Hiperbatch
from the Development perspective. (Personally I consider Hiperbatch a
fore-runner in a way to BatchPipes/MVS and I KNOW there's an ex-Pipes
developer hanging out here BTW Pipes is still alive and well and worth
considering for Sequential data.)

As Hiperbatch - given the IBM-MAIN traffic on it today - seems to be a
topical (ahem) topic :-) I may just have to find something
Hiperbatch-related to blog on. :-)

Martin

Martin Packer
Performance Consultant