You can copy a VSAM file to populate the Hiperbatch hiperspace. And then
read it from there - by multiple jobs using VSAM NSR.

If the reference patterns of the key jobs are tight you may do better with
BLSR to trigger VSAM LSR. If the file is large most of it might not fit in
Hiperbatch.

Ypu're right to question one big store vs lots of smaller ones. Maybe it's
the big jobs that need their own big stores - by increasing the VSAM LSR
buffer pool sizes on those jobs.

(Often people tell me they've been aggressive with buffering and I
subsequently discover by "aggressive" they mean 10MB. It was ridiculous 20
years ago. Guess what it is now.) :-)

Really you need proper data analysis - at a number of levels - to figure
out what's likely to work best.

Martin

Martin Packer
Performance Consultant