Hi John,

Thanks for the info and confirmation. From the book, it looks like it did mentioned about cannot implement compression on dataset open for update but later realized it was actually for QSAM etc and not VSAM. We have also already tested to compressed VSAM files that is open for update and confirmed that it has no problem.

Jason

Quoting John Kington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Jason,
We are planning to implement SMS data compression. I've read that we
cannot implement compression on VSAM file that is open for update. Is
this true? Aside from this, any other considerations?

Compression will not take place until you recreate the vsam dataset. The
danger with updating a compressed vsam dataset is that you will likely
change the size of the data and an increase could cause you to incur
a CI split. Otherwise you can compress a vsam dataset that is updated.
We looked at using compression but determined that CPU costs exceeded
what we saved in dasd costs. Your mileage may vary.
Regards,
John