Hunter,

I actually got the same impression from his original post.

Ken, Web Services provides program-to-program communications which can be (but doesn't have to be) cross platform. So an application on Linux for System z or Windows (for instance) can call a CICS program. A CICS program, on the other hand, can also call a program running on other platforms.

It's certainly not new technology, but it's very cool!

Hunter Cobb wrote:
You might want to distinguish between using CICS as a web server (check the CICS TS 3.1 Internet Guide, SC34-6450), and using CICS as a Web Services provider (check the CICS TS 3.1 Web Services Guide, SC34-6458). As a web server, CICS can deliver both static web pages and application-generated pages. As a Web Services provider, CICS responds to program-to-program requests from the web. FWIW, CICS can also act as a Web Services requester.

From your original posting, it sounds like CICS as a web server is more what you have in mind. For this, you'll probably need to define several CICS resources: TCPIPSERVICE, DOCTEMPLATE, and URIMAP. The web services assistant programs DFHLS2WS and DFHWS2LS don't get involved when using CICS to act as a web server.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me off list.

Hunter Cobb
The Trainer's Friend

Kenneth R Barkhau wrote:
Hello -

We have CICS3.1 installed (up and running) and I am trying to find information regarding Web Services for CICS and how to implement and use. Is WEB SERVICES for CICS installed as a part of CICS 3.1? If so, is there some additional customization required for it? Any good 'cook books' out there or other good documentation ? Any hints, tips, or comments on this are greatly appreciated. I am primarily an MVS sysprog with rather limited CICS background. Our goal is to have users invoking CICS to go after Web pages for information.

Thanks much.
Regards,
Ken Barkhau

Duke Medical 2424 Erwin Rd.
Durham, NC  27710
Telephone 919-681-2482

Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
Phone: 414-491-6001
Ans Service:  360-715-2467
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/richsmrcina

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2008 - Chattanooga - April 18-22, 2008