If the migrated dataset was scratched, the MCDS definitions for the dataset are gone also, and this is what is causing your recall failure.

In addition the the DEF NVSAM to catalog the dataset, you will also need to determine what ML2 volume contains the dataset (may require looking at old HSM CDS backups) and then run an DFHSM AUDIT on that tape, which will then see the dataset cataloged to MIGRAT and on the tape but not in the MCDS and propose/make the necessary fixes in MCDS to make the dataset accessible again.

Another approach that we occasionally use, assuming you have backups of the HSM CDS datasets and a recovery/test MVS platform that can be used: You can bring up an HSM environment on a test system with back level versions of the production CDS datasets that still have the dataset on ML2 and catalog the dataset to MIGRAT with DEF NVSAM on the test system, Recall the dataset there, and then export the dataset back to the production system by some means, where it can be re-migrated back to ML2.

Willie bunter wrote:
I tried your suggestion for the DEVT.  Still same error message:
IDC3009I ** VSAM CATALOG RETURN CODE IS 168 - REASON CODE IS IGG0CLEH-4
  I will keep on digging.

"Adams, Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Issue the DEFINE command again but use device type DEVT(X'78048083').
Then try to recall the dataset. If it fails look in the HSM Storage
Administration Guide and follow the steps for Case 9 in the Data
Recovery Scenarios Chapter (at least that is the case in the 1.8
manual!). You would look for the heading:
Reestablish Access to Previously Deleted Migrated Data Sets (No Backup
Exists, ML2 Only)

That should fix you up.

Thanks....Rick

Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        [EMAIL PROTECTED]