From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mike Hill
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2007 1:44 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: HFS Vs ZFs

Could someone please explain what has been going on with zFS
recommendations etc.
I have also seen recommendations that we should all move from HFS to zFS

file systems. Now, we are told that we should not use zFS Milti-File
Mode
(MFM) aggregates in shared systems.
If I was running a non-shared environment, I would avoid migrating to
zFS
Multi-File Mode aggregates in case I may later move to a shared
environment
in the future. That seems a reasonable stand to take and would mean that

zFS MFM Aggregates would be little used.
If we are all therefore to use compatibility mode aggregates, do we
still get
the documented benefits of zFS? Namely, read only clones, performance
benefits and increase integrity when using Compatibility Mode
aggregates?

The recommendation telling us not to use zFS MFM aggregates in a shared
HFS environment were not there in the first announcements of zFS, so
what
happened to cause such a drastic U-turn?