What setup are you talking about? PAUSE/RELEASE are functions that are called by branching to them. You don't go through any interrupt handler code. The only setup I'm aware of to use these functions is in acquiring the Pause Element itself, but once acquired, a token is used to reference. I don't say this to argue, just trying to understand what is going on. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Binyamin Dissen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 5:03 PM
Subject: Re: SUSPEND/RESUME is slower than WAIT/POST. PAUSE/RELEASE is slower than both.

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:45:27 -0600 David Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>I don't use SUSPEND/RESUME in my code, but I do use PAUSE/RELEASE.  I
:>intentionally coded PAUSE/RELEASE because I was under the impression it had :>a shorter path length and was more effecient than POST/WAIT. You say it was
:>no surprise to you that the opposite was true.  When PAUSE/RELEASE was
:>introduced some years back, I think it was 2.6 of os/390, it was touted by
:>IBM as a superior performer to POST/WAIT.  How is it that this was not a
:>surprise?

I would be shocked if pause/release was faster than wait post. There is a bit
more overhead in the setup. And WAIT/POST are right to the point while
pause/release needs to go thru a level of abstraction, i.e., POST gives the
direct address of the ECB and if the ECB is waiting, it contains the RB
address.

I am surprised that the SUSPEND/RESUME is slower than WAIT/POST since the
addresses are given as well. Perhaps SRB vs. task was a factor.

:>    --Dave Day
:>----- Original Message ----- :>From: "Edward Jaffe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>