Probably just coincidence, fueled by year-end "change freezes" (it's
"R&D time").

In our case, we're "looking at" SOA-land, with CICS Web Services on the
"point".  CICS Web Services Security support requires the crypto
hardware and ICSF for anything beyond SSL for data transmission.

Likely, more than a little attention is being paid to "data center
thefts", "tapes lost in transit", "missing laptops", etc., so some shops
might be preparing to secure their data via encryption on "portable"
devices and media.

And then there's SOX, with a perception that encryption of "sensitive"
data may become mandatory (via government regulation or legislation)
"sooner" rather than "later".

    -jc-