On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:46:59 -0600, Ernest Nachtigall
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thank you very much for joining the discussion.  I'm afaid you're
going to be swamped with questions for a while.

>... Fo CPACF, is is a single OP code so beats
>software routines thousands to one (TDES ASM routine has
thousands of
>instructions).

I understand that the CPACF instructions are just that - single
instructions.  But so are AR, MVCL, and CFC - quite a range.
(I'm guessing that CFC takes a long time to execute.  It's
description takes a long time to read!).  I'm guessing that the
CPACF instructions are implemented in millicode and may not
execute quite as fast, and represent quite as light a load on the
CP, as AR (for example).

One of the people here suggested that enabling the feature did
nothing more than enabled instruction decode -  that the cycles
burned were about the same - hardware or software.  I would like
to refute that if the appropriate doc exists.

Pat O'Keefe