On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 12:36:12 -0600, McKown, John
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In the deep, dark, past, I remember that we used the VARY command to
>change the status of things such as storage, CPs, and channels. Now,
>some things such as DEVICES are manipulated via the VARY command whereas
>others, such as the CHPs, are manipulated via the CONFIG command.
>Anybody have any idea why? Or how it was decided which things were
>VARY'd and others CONFIG'd?

CONFIG seems to be more related to things you could do with the
hardware interface (HMC) - or commands that "talk" to the hardware.
VARY is more on a device / logical / OS level.

I guess I haven't been around long enough to remember VARY for
storage, channels, and CPs or didn't do them under MVS/SP 1.3 which
is when I got my start with MVS.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden