Gregory, Gary G wrote:
That is true but if the application is NOT passing the UTOKEN or using
the macro that requires the commands be defined in OPERCMDS then that
won't work.

I'm not sure I follow you here...

Most of the time, passing UTOKEN is unnecessary. For example, MGCRE issued from a TSO session does not need to pass UTOKEN. It's only in more exotic situations, e.g., multiuser address spaces, where the differentiation is required. Some products, like (E)JES, always pass a UTOKEN because they want to differentiate between commands explicitly entered by the user and those generated by the product to affect a resource protected by other means. This is an above-and-beyond feature of mature, robust products and is by no means a requirement to make OPERCMDS work.

OTOH, "using the macro that requires the commands be defined in OPERCMDS" is not optional. That macro, called MGCRE, is the mechanism by which programs enter commands into the system. And, the program doesn't do anything special to cause its commands to be validated against OPERCMDS resources. CMDAUTH is issued by the system automatically unless, as I stated earlier, MGCEFAST is set by the MGCRE issuer.

I was only suggesting they refer to the documentation to
see if commands are defined in other resource classes.  The CMDAUTH
macro requires that all entities be defined in OPERCMDS.

This might be the root source of confusion for this discussion. When someone says "MVS commands", I think of commands documented in the "MVS System Commands" book, i.e. those that can be issued from an MCS console. Such commands are subject to checking against resources in the OPERCMDS class.

Obviously, other commands, not defined in "MVS System Commands", would be subject to whatever security checking is appropriate for the command and the product that defines it. I think this may be the point you're trying to make. If so, I agree with that aspect of your statement.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc