> 2. Connect new server to the existing disk or old server to the new
disk
> systems - not possible, the old system has only internal disk and the
new
> disk is FICON and cannot be connected to the old processor.

You could consider turning the Flex box into a FlexCUB temporarily,
which would make the internal disk connectable via ESCON. Talk to
Cornerstone offline about that; we've found them to be pretty reasonable
about things, and it's a small investment that also gives you the
ability to deal better with the outside world and support DLT, etc.

> 3. Load and customise zVM via the z9 HMC using DVD's thus having a zVM
and
> CMS environment and somehow "dump" the old system and FTP it across to
the
> new zVM & CMS system running on the z9

If you have one 3390 mod 9 or 2 3390 mod 3s available on the Flex box,
this is the best option. You need only one userid, and a utility called
CMSDDR which is available from the IBM Download Library (it's a modified
version of DDR that can read/write it's data from CMS files). Very
effective (and you'll want VM anyway...8-))

>       We believe we can build a Stand Alone (SA) DFDSS pgm in card
image
> form (BUILDSA) on the old system and FTP this across to a CMS user.
>       This user should be able to receive this card image as a CMS
file
> and "punch" it to the virtual reader.
>       We could then "IPL" from the reader on this zVM virtual machine
>       This then creates a IPL'd SA DFDSS environment
>
> This last and final part is the bit we are struggling with. We can
create
> DFDSS full volume dump of the OnePak System to DISK and FTP it to the
> zVM/CMS system on the z9.
>
> What I am struggling with is how to get the as input to the DFDSS SA
> program
> from the zVM/CMS environment?
>
> Is this a complete non starter as a process OR if possible; how would
it
> be
> done?

Well, you can get the DFDSS SA utility up and running w/o problems, but
I don't think it understands any of the VM disk storage formats, so I
don't know how you'd point it at the data to restore.

CMSDDR is a lot easier, and if you can bring up a 1 pack VM system on
the Flex box, the dump looks like (assuming your 1 pack MVS system is on
dasd 1234, and 4567 is a full-pack minidisk formatted for CMS)

>From MAINT or other privileged ID:

ATTACH 1234 MAINT 1234
ACCESS 4567 C
CMSDDR
SYSPRINT CONS
INPUT 1234 3390 volser
OUTPUT FILE volser DISKIMG C
DUMP ALL
<blank line>

And the restore is (assuming the disk to restore is 3FFF and the file
has been moved to a similar 4567 minidisk on the new system via FTP or
NJE):

ATTACH 3FFF MAINT 3FFF
ACCESS 4567 C
CMSDDR
SYSPRINT CONS
INPUT FILE volser DISKIMG C
OUTPUT 3FFF 3390 SCRTCH
RESTORE ALL
<blank line>

Repeat this for all the volumes you want to move. DDR doesn't care what
is on the disk; it's a physical copy, so MVS won't get unhappy at all.

CMSDDR can be gotten from http://www.vm.ibm.com/download.