> If I have an IPL'd Stand Alone system running on the New z9 and
zVM/CMS is
> installed; can I take a Full volume dump on zOS; ftp it to zVM/CMS;
save
> the
> file and then use this file as input to the Stand Alone Restore
process?
> If so how?

z/OS utilities only understand z/OS I/O, so you would somehow have to
get the file onto a OS-formatted disk (or tape, which we know you don't
have). None of the CMS TCPIP utilities understand OS formatted disks
directly, so you would have to FTP the dataset to a CMS minidisk, access
a OS-formatted minidisk, and then use FILEDEF and MOVEFILE to actually
write the file to the OS-formatted disk. You'd then have to worry about
VTOC formats (thank IBM for killing both OS VSAM and OS
compatibility...sigh). It's not worth it.

Put bluntly, see my other note on using CMSDDR. Getting a 1 pack VM
system up on the Flex box works MUCH better, CMSDDR understands CMS file
structure so you can just pass images of the volumes over, and as long
as you restore the entire volumes, z/OS won't even know it happened.

Useful note: when you FTP the CMSDDR output files between the VM system
on the Flex box and the new system, use TYPE E, MODE B before you do the
PUT or GET in the FTP session. This tells the FTP server on the other
end to preserve character set and file parameters, so you won't have to
worry about it.

Also, keep in mind that your Flex system can create AWSTAPE format
files, and that CMS has a AWSTAPE pipe stage that can feed that to CMS
utilities. If you're worried about licensing for VM on the Flex box, I
think VM/370 (which IBM does not complain about usage) will run CMSDDR.

I'll have to look into creating a IPLable system image for people in
your situation. Shouldn't be too hard.

  • Re: IBM-MAIN Digest - 27 Dec 2007 to 28 Dec 2007 (... David Boyes