On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:13:12 -0500, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 12/20/2007
>   at 12:06 PM, Howard Brazee said:
>
>>I recommend putting both the full URL and the short one.
>
>Works for me.
>
>--
>     Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT
>     ISO position; see <http://patriot.net/~shmuel/resume/brief.html>

But, PKB (sort of)  The "resume" URL, as it appears on, e.g.:

    http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0712&L=ibm-main&P=R87955

... gives "404 Not Found" from Lynx, Firefox, probably many
others because of the trailing '>'.  An excerpt from the
HTML source is:

...see &lt;<a
href="http://patriot.net/~+shmuel/resume/brief.html&amp;gt;";>http...

There's a similar problem in URLs appearing in messages from
Ed F. and dasdbill; perhaps from others using AOL.COM, because
of a trailing ')' or '_'.

And Ed G. suggested in frustration that you, not he, submit a
PMR on Apple's Mail program.  Well, one thing I _do_ like about
IBM is that I can submit PMRs (when IBMLink is working); they're
answered; sometimes they're even fixed.  I have lots of problems
with Apple's Mail; almost as many with Thunderbird.  They try
to be impossibly smart -- "Content-type: text/plain;format=flowed"
is oxymoronic: "format=flowed" means it contains markup, and
if it contains markup, it's not plain.

If I post messages on IBM-MAIN's web interface, I never have
URL wrapping problems.

I've got "mutt" built and stumbling on my MacBook and Solaris;
I need to <gasp> get sendmail/postfix configured on the MacBook,
then I can use mutt and not worry about URL wrapping.  I guess
I'm an Email Luddite.

RFC 1738 contains a recommendation (not a standard) for

    "APPENDIX: Recommendations for URLs in Context"

... the URL should be surrounded by "<URL:" and ">", and the
processor should ignore linear and vertical whitespace.
Example:

          rfc/
          rfc1738.txt >

... ought to work.  This convention is not widely respected,
but wouldn't it be nice if LISTSERV implemented it?