Sent: Monday, December 31, 2007 2:45 PM

>"could".  But would it happen?  Is z/OS at any price a preferred
>instructional platform?  How relevant to mainstream computer science is
>teaching students to code DD statements for CKD DASD when the view of
>many sophisticated readers of this list is that CKD should be superseded
>by FBA?

<ST>
>With the advent of Unix System Services, your workstation can make use
>of Open Office running on the mainframe (I think, I don't have the
>opportunity to install it here to try it out). And you could chose to

IBM would need to address the EBCDIC problem before that
became practical.  I truly wish that IBM would extend its
Enhanced ASCII support so a user, at his choice, could
operate Unix System Services entirely in ASCII.  This does
not appear to be high on IBM's agenda.

>make that system a server to handle email if you so desire, or you can
>get your email direct to the workstation from your ISP.

Sendmail reportedly works on z/OS UNIX.  We're not using it.
Are any installations using z/OS as their primary email
platform?  Why not?

>Back to your DD statement arguments, that to me is a strawman. What or
>how the SCP supports the hard drives is not truly germane. Yes, you and
>I battle with it because we choose to. But tell me again what SMS is
>for?

It's not a simple choice.  I get paid pretty well in a job that
often requires me to code DD statements.  And SMS doesn't
eliminate the DD statement.  It moves the battle of understanding
a few of its operands from the end user to the storage adminstrator.
And absent talent in that storage administration, z/OS withers.
FBA and elimination of the 54GB ceiling would be a significant
simplification.  Again, not high on IBM's agenda.

>Now imagine every major university having HLASM, COBOL, C/C++, etc.
>taught in true cross platform environments. How many z/xxx licenses
>would that make?

If I were advocating languages for true cross platform environments,
HLASM would not be high on my agenda.

>Imagine being able to develop an integrated application that small
>offices would want, and IBM could license the software for less than
>what they do now because the base is no longer a concrete pond --
>100,000 and growing z/xxx installs would allow for software prices to
>soften a bit. Get that over 500,000 and the prices should drop more.
>Service would not be that tough because most users would not be pushing
>the limits (well, except for you, me and those hacker type students of
>course).

The paradox: Must one become the enemy to compete with him?

-- gil