And who can forget the Timex Sinclair 1000, the North American version of the
Sinclair ZX-81.

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

From:         Tom Marchant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:           IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: OT: For the History buff's an IBM 5150 pc
Date:         Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:08:56 -0600

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 14:23:12 -0600, Ed Gould wrote:

><http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/feature-modder-
>hacks-1980s-ibm-pc-to-play-full-motion-color-video>
>
>This represents itself to be the first PC ever. I do not know if this
>is true or not. You can make up your own mind.

As others have noted, there were plenty of earlier examples.  (Thanks, John
Giltner, for your interesting post.)

Both Byte and Dr. Dobb's Journal were in publication for years before the IBM
PC was announced.  Both magazines primarily covered inexpensive personal
computing.  You could find dozens of examples of computers in their pages
before the announcement of the PBM PC.  Just a few:
MITS Altair
IMSAI
Apple 1 and II
Osborne