The following is from PMR 40604,227,000 I sent to IBM trying while
trying to make sense of RESOLVER.  Maybe this will save others some
trouble... maybe not

IN z/OS V1R9.0 Communications Server IP Configuration Guide
SC31-8775-11 (also applies for some earlier versions)
Section: Setting up a resolver address space
THERE IS THE FOLLOWING...

BPXF224I THE RESOLVER_PROC, procname, IS BEING STARTED.
Rule: If the RESOLVER_PROC statement is not present or is specified with a
procedure name of DEFAULT, the procname value will be RESOLVER even though
no start procedure was used. If you want to use a start procedure named
RESOLVER, you must add a RESOLVER_PROC(RESOLVER) statement to your
BPXPRMxx parmlib member.

    WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS IS THIS:
1) If you leave RESOLVER_PROC out of BPXPRM__ then the message will read :

BPXF224I THE RESOLVER_PROC, RESOLVER, IS BEING STARTED.
The PROBLEM with this is that the "PROC" is NOT RESOLVER at all.  The PROC
is IEESYSAS Indeed, if you searh the SYSLOG you will find that the proc is
IEESYSAS.
IEF196I         1 //IEESYSAS JOB MSGLEVEL=1
IEF196I         2 //RESOLVER EXEC IEESYSAS,PROG=EZBREINI

2) If you actually put RESOLVER_PROC(XXXXX) in BPXPRM__ then you get
BPXF224I THE RESOLVER_PROC, XXXXX, IS BEING STARTED.
IEF196I         1 //XXXXX JOB MSGLEVEL=1
IEF196I         2 //STARTING EXEC XXXXX

    I would like to request the following FIXes to Doc AND Message
1) Make the DOC read

Rule: If the RESOLVER_PROC statement is not present or is specified with a
procedure name of DEFAULT, the procname value will be IEESYSAS even though
no start procedure was used. If you want to use a start procedure named
XXXXX, you must add a RESOLVER_PROC(XXXXX) statement to your BPXPRMxx
parmlib member.

2) Make the message which occurs actually reflect the PROC being started:
If Using the default, or no RESOLVER_PROC...
BPXF224I THE RESOLVER_PROC, IEESYSAS, IS BEING STARTED.
If Using RESOLVER_PROC(xxxxx)
BPXF224I THE RESOLVER_PROC, XXXXX, IS BEING STARTED.