On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 11:03:01 -0600, Kenneth E Tomiak wrote:

>SDSF can be run as a separate step or can be called from your program.
>Below is a step that will capture the JESJCL output. You then get to read it
>and parse it. On the system I can access right now I am not authorized to get
>the internal text using SDSF. SJ is not valid in batch as SDSF wants to put
>you in EDIT, and you don't get to control this. If you could get SJ to invoke
>EDIT and pass an initial edit macro you could get a copy of the job, with some
>restrictions.

I've played quite a bit with invoking the "batch" SDSF from Rexx.

>//STEP001 EXEC PGM=SDSF
>//ISFOUT   DD  SYSOUT=*

... or DD DUMMY.  But you may need it for debugging.

>//DDNAME   DD  DISP=(NEW,CATLG),DSN=KTOMIAK.JOBOUT.JOB00207,
>//             UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(TRK,(45,45),RLSE),
>//             DCB=(DSORG=PS,RECFM=VB,BLKSIZE=0,LRECL=255)

... this can be allocated to a POSIX pipe (I've done this) and
the output parsed directly by Rexx.  Or, allocate to a temporary
DSNAME and read it back.

>//ISFIN    DD  *
>PRE KTOMIAK*

... does this do anything better than "PRE *", other than optimize
the performance of the following commands?  If so, I'd make the
entire JOBNAME the prefix to optimize even further.

>OWNER *

... I'd use "ST" rather than "H", in order to select not only held
output but all jobs, including the very job issuing the commands.

>S KTOMIAKK JOB00207

In Rexx, I can get the jobname with MVSVAR('SYMDEF','JOBNAME'), but
is there any way to get the JOBID?

>F KTOMIAKK
>++?
>F JESJCL

... perhaps more useful than JESJCLIN or SJ because you can get the
substituted values from the IEFC653I message text.  But are there
lexical ambiguities?

>++S
>PRINT FILE DDNAME
>PRINT
>PRINT CLOSE
>END

... achingly close despite being an egregious kludge.  But JES3?

It would be wonderful to have a JCL SETENV command that would make
its operand string, after symbol substitution and with no 100-character
limit, available to an API in the job step program.  But I'm pretty
much echoing the OP's wish.

-- gil