Mark Post wrote:
On Sat, Jan 5, 2008 at  2:31 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "R.S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote: -snip-
Since mainframe does not support iSCSI, there is no reason to compare what is cheaper/better/etc.

Sure there is.  Just to be clear, z/OS !== "mainframe."  Linux on the mainframe
does support iSCSI.  I wouldn't be surprised if z/VM supports it in the not-too-distant
future.  Don't throw applications onto midrange hardware when you have Linux available
for your mainframes.

In fact I was aware about it, but wanted to simplify.
Otherwise I coudn't make *any* comparison "open systems vs mainframe".
Since Linux can be run on mainframe, and it is definitely open system, such comparison have no sense at all.
BTW: z/OS is 'pretty well open system' IMHO.

-snip-
Again, no difference, because Open Systems *do not support FICON. (I understand it in this context as non-mainframe systems)

There are *similar* technologies: FICON and FC (Fibre Channel). They use the same hardware but they "talk" in completely different languages.

Linux for System z understands ESCON, FICON, and SCSI over FCP.  (FICON and FCP use the
same hardware with different microcode loads).  So, whether your storage arrays are
configured for ECKD, or "open systems," Linux can use them.
I clearly noticed that mean *non-mainframe* open systems, didn't I ?
In *this context* open systems do not support FICON.
BTW: FC vs FICON is not always matter of microcode only. Examples:
- FICON on G5 cannot work as FCP
- FICON card on HDS storage (Freedom 7700, Lightning 9960, maybe others) do not support FC. Hint: The array do support, but with other kind of cards.

I believe Linux on PC does not support ECKD disks, am I wrong with that ?

To clarify the discussion: I think we all agree the only short and proper answer is IT DEPENDS. Or "more data required".

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2007 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA (w caoci
opacony) wynosi 118.064.140 z. W zwizku z realizacj warunkowego
podwyszenia kapitau zakadowego, na podstawie uchwa XVI WZ z dnia 21.05.2003
r., kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA moe ulec podwyszeniu do kwoty 118.760.528
z. Akcje w podwyszonym kapitale zakadowym bd w caoci opacone.