http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid80_gci1288892,00.html?track=NL-455&ad=619599&asrc=EM_NLN_2844322&uid=6570353

>Watch the wrap above

Repaired, I hope.  You can avoid this problem by posting via the web
interface rather than E-mail.  Or get a non-broken MUA.

>My problem with this way of doing UPS is that the article states that
>they can loose power a full second before the "new" UPS kicks in.
>
>I am *NOT* knowledgeable in UPS's but to me a second is a way too
>much time to loose power and any computer (MF or PC) would roll over
>and die.
>
>Is my guess correct? I vaguely remember (read LONG time ago) that
>power interruptions that last longer that 500MS (microseconds) will

Milliseconds.  Microseconds is uS.  And the power supply capacitors
would hold for 500 uS, which is only about 12 degrees of phase at 60 Hz.

>bring most computers down rather quickly. I am *NOT* sure of the
>500MS (it may have be less). Can anyone supply a better number?
>
>Or are they saying a (one) second outage is OK as they will have to
>reboot and so what?

The phrase was "even for a second or two".  The article makes it
pretty clear that the flywheels run all the time and there is zero
interruption.

-- gil