Few realise the PCM mainframe industry was not only controlled from Japan, but
that they also
had a strategy and defined routes to market.

NEC was told to enter joint ventures.  Fujitsu to take a large equity share in
the companies
it dealt with (not just Amdahl - 419 companies in total) and Hitachi was told
to stay in Japan
and use dealerships abroad. This explains a lot of the major design differences.

Alone among the three Hitachi had no control over site preparation, etc., so
right from the S6
(AS/6 from Itel, AS/7000 from NAS) every machine was powered via
motor-generators.  The S6
would survive a complete 0.6 second brownout, the S8 (AS/9000) 0.8 seconds.

Amdahl used similar technology, but bought them mostly from Pillar.

I had a customer in Aßlar, near Wetzlar - RZ Schulte.  They were plagued by CPU
outages caused
by lightning strikes to the transmission lines in the hills.

I recommended an S6 because of its built-in motor generators.

About six months after installation, I sa a massive thundrestorm pass over his
area - our
Frankfurt office was on the ninth floor.

The phone rang.

'Payne'

'HERR PAYNE - HIER IST SCHULTE!'

'Ja, Herr Schulte.  How are you?'

'HERR PAYNE, WHEN I BOUGHT THIS MACHINE YOU PROMISED ME IT WOULD NOT FAIL
BECAUSE OF LIGHTNING
STRIKES!'

'True, Herr Schulte.'

'WELL, IT HASN'T!  BUT EVERYTHING ELSE HAS!'

I heard later he made the call from a darkened data centre, with every single
piece of
equipment silent except the quietly humming CPU asking where its disks had gone.

--
  Phil Payne
  http://www.isham-research.co.uk