Release of OS - I can guarantee doing it under 18.6 because that's what we ran
at the time we
started and for quite a while - we skipped 19.

I have a funny feeling there was a downward compatibility problem.  Bear in
mind it's nearly
40 years.  MFT would certainly create the split cylinder files and the format
programme (it wa
sa weird interlinked structure) would run, but DOS didn't like the results.

ISTR we restored (essentially) a DOS VTOC to the pack and then formatted with
the application
tool.

Possibly one of the Herculeans could comment - I think there are a few with
OS/360 running.

--
  Phil Payne
  http://www.isham-research.co.uk