On Jan 10, 2008, at 8:10 PM, Gary Green wrote:

I lost track of who posted the original inquiry, so take this for what it's
worth.

If the requirement is in the financial industry, could the communications
between the two/various systems use S.W.I.F.T. (Society for Worldwide
Interbank Financial Telecommunications)? It's been some time since I wrote
anything for SWIFT, but it was extremely secure and most financial
institutions should be linked in.

When I did some work, it was used in the securities market, primarily for
payments, foreign exchange, securities, etc...  However, there were
rumblings that the SWIFT organization was thinking about opening up the
network for other financial "transactions"; which I took to mean data
exchange...

JMTC

I don't recall too much about SWIFT. Just that it existed that is about all. Was it connected with TANDEM (et al) ? In anycase we had only two customers that didn't do SNA and I think one of them was using RSCS (bisync I believe) and some RJE emulator oh yes JES3 I had almost forgot. Bisync was pretty good (but not as good as SNA, IMO). There were 3rd party options of course but that entailed a healthy invest in software. The company I worked for was the cheapest of the cheap so any 50K (or more) investment would have been looked on with extreme displeasure. We did look at one or two but there were issue that we just could not live with. One was that software (I am sorry I can't remember the vendor name) was a little (read a lot) OS dependent. I had talked to a user about incompatibilities between the vendors software level. Trying to get everyone synced up was a nightmare according to him (especially when it came to 200+) . We wanted to make this as transparent as possible and we exceeded far beyond my original estimates. The IBM utility we used was sold (it *NEVER abended* because of program logic and we typically used it 10K times a day (or more) the number of times a day gets a little murky as we had two data centers and we transmitted to our DR site many times more files that 10K. I can't say enough about a solid product like this was. Once installed it hasn't been touched in 20 years over many OS releases and zero problems, show me any equal numbers from any OEM and we can talk.

I am no longer with that company but I was pretty proud as to what I implemented in such a short amount of time.

Ed