From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Gerhard Postpischil
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 4:06 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Rexx external assembler functions and reentrancy

David Logan wrote:
> In the examples cited previously, if you store the address using the
> name/token callable services, another process can obtain that address
using
> the same utility. Another option was to store the address in the TCBUSER
> field of the current TCB. This means that any program after that that is
> being run under the same TCB can obtain that address by getting the value
of
> the TCBUSER field of the current TCB.

The "user" in TCBUSER and CVTUSER would appear to be the
installation, rather than the casual programmer, since both are
store protected. One of my colleagues found this nifty CBT
IEFACTRT that added I/O counts on the listing (object or load
module form), and never noticed that it used TCBUSER. We lost
billing data for a week! Since then I have found other
installations that take advantage of the USER fields. And in
Lindy's case getting privileged in a REXX subroutine is somewhat
unlikely.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT