On Jan 13, 2008, at 8:38 PM, Edward Jaffe wrote:

Paul Gilmartin wrote:
As for how much you keep (Ed G.'s concern?), when you're sure, do an
ACCEPT PURGE.  Everything newer that is available in the GLOBAL
zone, which is the reason it's possible to perform the RESTORE;
APPLY EXCLUDE operation you describe above.  Hmmm.  I suspect I
can't RESTORE a SUPerseded PTF.  But can I RESTORE then APPLY
EXCLUDE it and expect that the SUPerseding PTF will not be APPLYed?

Perhaps worthy of a poll question. But, I suspect most service orders don't include superseded maintenance. Certainly, that's my preference.

I think I agree but (and there is always a but) if a product is mature then (I would think) that the maintenance is rolled into the product as shipped. If not then I probably agree with you. There is one aspect that gets a little dicey (IMO) if a product (like some I have run into and no names will be given) have almost weekly fixes (sometimes 2 or 3 a week) it is unlikely that all fixes have been incorporated into a shipped "product". If I get such product with say 25 fixes that have to be applied (or more) then I begin to worry about the amount of fixes (at one time a certain product put out weekly zap fixes and some of them OVERLAPPED) in that case the sequence of fixes that needed to go on were exact and SMPe would have taken care of it (not that I am suggesting zaps are good). But the need to apply zaps at installation is really needed and some shops just put on sent base modules and then apply at a later time any fix's. The two step installation *MIGHT* be a small inhibitor. If they (fix's) were all sent with the installation "tape" then there would be more inclination to apply the fixes, especially if they are sent on the same file as the installation of the base FMID. a receive would hopefully do the fmid and the fixes at one time. IBM usually send all the fixes along with the product (not all the time which is strange they might suggest you order the fix tape separately which is IMO lame. I have run into licensing issues because of this (even with the CBPDO believe it or not) so I am a little hesitant in saying IBM does it correctly. IBM IMO has a very mixed bag in this area. They have corrected this to an extent but since their history is not sparkling lets say I am really worried as to holding them out as a company to emulate.

Ed

ps: Many time I have installed a product and in testing I have run into a bug that has a fix but the fix has to be ordered separately, not a good thing to do is to find a brand new installed product that has basic bugs in it, especially if its been out more than a few months, IMO.

Ed