That is what we do. The problem that came up is that I have this set to
32 work volumes. The size of the input was such that each sortwork had
to be larger than the largest sized volume that we have (3390-3s). We
currently have 60 3390-3 volumes in out temporary work pool. There is a
debate now as to whether it would be better to increase the number of
work volumes in the pool and make the sortwork number >32, or to leave
the number of volumes the same, but make them "larger", say 3390-9. We
are currently on a 2105 (Shark) without PAV. Our requested upgrade to a
newer DASD array has been denied. We've been told that if we need more
space, we will be given an older EMC array which is already on the
floor. In any case PAV does not look to be an option. So we are
concerned about performance. Management doesn't directly care because
"the mainframe is going away" so no moneys will be spent unless they are
forced. But the mainframe performance is still critical because the
mainframe usage is still increasing. So if performance suffers, for
__any__ reason, then it is just more proof that the mainframe is junk.
Yes, I'm still P.O.'ed at this attitude.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.