--------------------<snip>-------------------
The great thing about Gartner is they believe everything. It doesn't matter what strategy you espouse, you will find a Gartner Research Service that will back you up. And such a company cannot be wrong, can it?

I've had several recruitment run-ins with Gartner. I know several of the mainframe guys quite well.

Why not? In the first place, they work them far too hard. At my time of life, the schedule is quite punishing. Secondly, the sales content of even a lead analyst job is very high - they spend around 60% of their time selling. A Gartner analyst who visits you and leaves without an additional signature will get ROASTED back at the office. And - thirdly - you have to support the 'corporate view'. This is bizarrely influenced, and every time I've come up against it I've found it impossible.

And the last hurdle is that you effectively have to be 'voted in' by the incumbent team.

Somehow, that never happened.
I've worked with recruiters and HR types with the same mindset. Names omitted to protect the terminally stupid.