On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:53:24 -0500, Mark Pace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Is there a way to automate the shutdown of z/OS?  I hate having to follow a
>script, typing all of the commands to stop tasks.

Of course there are automation products that you can by to take care of
this.  There some free ones on the CBT also. TSSO, COMMAND.  Even
though we have an automation product, all my sandbox LPARs use
COMMAND from CBT file 19 (http://www.cbttape.org).  I start the scripts
from an STC that runs SUB=MSTR so it can even shutdown JES2 and
issue V XCF,sysname,OFFLINE.   I use COMMAND on my sandbox LPARs
for 2 reasons.  One:  the automation group "controls" the automation
products.  Two: less overhead - quick, simple, easy to change.

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:28:28 -0600, Stephen Wolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The CBT tape has many MPF exit examples for automation and of course
>the "AUTO" command.
>
>For syslogd shutdown look at IBM site for the z/OS UNIX tools for BPXSTOP.

While BPXSTOP could still be used, it's better these days to use
F BPXOINIT,SHUTDOWN=xxxx commands or to shutdown OMVS completely
with F OMVS,SHUTDOWN.  See the Unix System Services Planning manual
for details.   I think BPXSTOP would cause a problem in a share HFS / zFS
environment also.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden