There have been rare instances of a bad recall.  Mostly due to I/O errors on
the tape. I do not remember any recent issues for DFSMShsm for recall.

I maybe incorrect, but I think you can go to the HSM logs to see how the data
set was recalled.  I believe it will include the volser of the tape when the
recall occurred.  Or identify the time of the recall (hh.mm.ss) and then go
into the SYSLOG/OPERLOG and find out what migrat tapes were mounted at that
time.

Lizette