From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Lindy Mayfield
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 12:34 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: How does ATTACH pass address of ECB to child?

The light bulb finally went off, ever so dimly.  Now I think I got it.

ATTACH can use an ECB that the Mother can wait on until Daughter ends.
The POSTing of the ECB is done by the system upon completion of
Daughter.

But, and this is what was so hard for me to get.  Mother can pass
Daughter an ECB for the Daughter task to use.  Daughter does some stuff
and then WAITs.  Mother goes about her business until she needs Daughter
do so something.  <this is still fuzzy> Mother clears the ECB and POSTs
it freeing Daughter from her slumber. "Get to work, you."  Daughter does
her thing and then WAITs for further instruction.

Mother could also POST with a return code indicating that Daughter
should just call it a night and end, whereas Mother could WAIT on the
original ECB used with the0 ATTACH until Daughter comes back home.

ECB's are used all over the place it seems, and are not just a control
block used with ATTACH.  I missed that, hence my confusion.

Am I even close?  This kept me up till 4:30 this morning.

Lindy

Things like "atomic" and "compare and swap" are still beyond me right
now.  I'll get it sooner or later.