From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of David Betten
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 8:54 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: DFSORT anomaly?

I haven't seen any job output yet but I wanted to share this information
from DFSORT Application Programming Guide

***
For a copy application, the SORTIN data set should not be the same as
the SORTOUT data set or any OUTFIL data set because this can cause lost
or incorrect data or unpredictable results.
***

Frank probably knows more about this but it makes sense to me why we
could have problems for COPY.  When we do a SORT, all of the records
from SORTIN need to be read before we can write anything to SORTOUT.
This is because that last record read could potentially be the first
record written.
However, when we do a COPY, we can start writing to SORTOUT immediately.
I would just try changing your sort step to write a new dataset and see
what the results are.

Have a nice day,
Dave Betten
DFSORT Development, Performance Lead