On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 13:31 -0600, Johnston, Robert E wrote:
> In times of busy printing (like today) messages come from EPS
> say "no local ports available".

LPR (the printer client) is historically defined to use one of ports
721-731.  If you have more than 11 simultaneous LPRs going on a single
host, then some will have to wait for a local port to become available.

While I guess some LPDs (printer servers) might still insist that the
LPR client actually originate on one of those ports, none of the LPDs we
run here seem to care.  So...

... a long time ago we told VPS to use a wider range of ports for its
LPR clients (the TCPLPORT parameter in the printer definition).  Perhaps
your EPS product has an equivalent tweak?

--
David Andrews
A. Duda and Sons, Inc.