David Logan wrote:
No, I didn't think you were arguing that WAIT/POST didn't work, and you do
definitely have some valid points. It would be *quite* difficult to use for
more advanced locking requirements, such as multiple tasks.
Task synchronization and locking only are tangentially related concepts. (Of course, the suspension and un-suspension of the work unit, due to lock contention/resolution, will usually require WAIT/POST buried in the "guts" of the lock manager somewhere.) Maybe that's where the confusion comes from. Just remember, a WAITing task is not necessarily (or even usually) locked.

We can start a separate thread on locking if you like.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc