L.s,

Recently I had my first system programmer course ( ES15 ).
It was meant as a MVS refresh-course but it contained a lot more
information than expected.
So now I am slowly working through the course materials checking if I
understand everything.

At the moment I am looking into 64-bit addressing and some things are
unclear.
The Principles of Operation didn't help as much as I hoped.
Short version questions:

        - Are region tables filled back to front in blocks of 4096 bytes
( 512 * 64-bit entries )?
        - Am I correct that the maximum needed storage for all the
tables is ~32 Petabyte?:

        If I assume there are 5 Region-Second-Tables, then:
        - Bit 58 ( region invalid bit ) of the entries 2044 to 2048 of
the Region-First-Table is 0?
        - Bit 58 of entries 1537 to 2043 of the Region-First-Table is 1?
        - Bits 0 - 51 of entries 1537 to 2043 of the First-Region-Table
are also 0?
Long version:

The first part of the address ( RFX, 11 bits ) is the index in the
Region-First-Table of the entry that points to the beginning of the
Region-Second-Table.
So far so good! Everything crystal clear.

Now the entry in Region-First-Table itself.
Bits 0 - 51 plus 12 zeros is the address of the correct
Region-Second-Table. Ok
Bits 52 - 55 are not used in region tables. Ok
Bits 56 - 57 : 0-3 * 4096 bytes is the length of the unused first part
of the Region-Second-Table:

        - Region tables are filled back to front in blocks of 4096
bytes?

Bit 58 : Region-Invalid Bit. When the bit is one, the
Region-Second-Table associated with the entry is not valid.

        So... If I assume there are 5 Region-Second-Tables, then:
        - Bit 58 of the entries 2044 to 2048 of the First-Region-Table
is 0?
        - Bit 58 of entries 1537 to 2043 of the First-Region-Table is 1?
        - Bits 0 - 51 of entries 1537 to 2043 of the First-Region-Table
are also 0?

Am I correct that the maximum needed storage for all the tables is ~32
Petabyte?:
1       Region-First-Table      2048 entries of 8 bytes = 16.384 bytes +
2048    Region-Second-Tables    2048 * 2048 entries of 8 bytes =
33.554.432 bytes +
2048^2  Region-Third-Tables     2048^2 * 2048 entries of 8 bytes =
68.719.476.736 bytes +
2048^3  Segment-Tables          2048^3 * 2048 entries of 8 bytes =
140.737.488.355.328 bytes +
2048^4  Page Tables             2048^4 * 256 entries of 8 bytes =
36.028.797.018.963.968 bytes
Or am I making a horrible mistake somewhere?

--
Maarten Slegtenhorst

ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.