Re: Coexistence, yes, it's extremely important to stay current.

However, if you're sitting back at z/OS 1.(low number) or OS/390 or (gasp!)
MVS, the best (and maybe only) strategy is to make one big, giant jump to
currency, then stay current. In that first jump you won't be able to share
datasets and be supported -- it's a "cold turkey" upgrade. Basically you'll
quiesce the old system, unload the data from the old OS, load the data into
the new OS, and go into production. You'll need to do a lot of testing
before you do this, you'll have to take a scheduled outage, and the risk is
higher than N+2 or N+1 steps -- but still the lowest risk of any other
option. (Although I do point out that it's what every Windows and UNIX
administrator does by and large. Boy, are we spoiled having fully supported
N+2 coexistence. :-)) You may get lucky and be able to do this in "chunks,"
for example moving a single less critical application first.

I know there are many of you who will need to do this "cold turkey"
upgrade, just please don't let it happen ever again. It's a lot less
stressful having that safety net.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]