I think its very foolish.
If they are going to work on a platform they should make an attempt to
learn and understand the platform.
Ask Yourself this
Why is it tha a Mainframe person can adapt to other platforms (unix,
linix,Windows) but the other platforms
cant seem to understand the mainframe.
And Yes John it does get tireing

That my 2 cents

"McKown, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
01/28/2008 04:17 PM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>

IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
cc

Subject
Dumb idea - pandering to the "other systems" people?

This has not come up yet. But I've been working with an IT person who
is, well, not very knowledgable. Especially about z/OS. So, what has
occurred to me is to try to talk to them more in their "native tongue".
They are used to talking about "services". In Linux (at least Fedora),
there is a "service" command which basically looks like "service ...
start" and "service ... stop" as well as other. In addition, our NOC
personnel are not very z/OS literate either (in general - some are
pretty good, others absymal). So, should I use CA-OPS/MVS to create a
"service" command which will start or stop selected "services"?
Basically change a "service srv start" to a "S SRV" and a "service srv
stop" to a "P SRV" (or whatever the appropriate method is to stop the
"service")? This might end up just plain easier than trying to teach
them "the right way". Is this wise or foolish? I'm so tired at times.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.

*************************** IMPORTANT
NOTE***************************** The opinions expressed in this
message and/or any attachments are those of the author and not
necessarily those of Brown Brothers Harriman & Co., its
subsidiaries and affiliates ("BBH"). There is no guarantee that
this message is either private or confidential, and it may have
been altered by unauthorized sources without your or our knowledge.
Nothing in the message is capable or intended to create any legally
binding obligations on either party and it is not intended to
provide legal advice. BBH accepts no responsibility for loss or
damage from its use, including damage from virus.