On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 14:07:24 +0000, Ted MacNEIL wrote:

>This 'faith' is grounded in facts:
>
>1. You require a minimal intelligence to get through formal education.
>2. You need some grounding in the fundamentals of your trade.
>3. You have to prove you are trainable.
>
>If this is prejudice, so be it!

I've met people with some pretty advanced degrees that haven't got the
common sense of a bag of rocks. Absolutely logic averse. On the other hand,
I've met people with no college degree that are beyond capable in
understanding complex logic and performing a highly technical job very
effectively. In my experience, it's about 50/50.

I value an education as much as anybody, but that doesn't mean as much to
me as capability, flexibility and adaptability. The term I hear bandied about
is "Life Long Learner". If you spend time keeping up on new developments in
your trade and expanding your knowledge just because you want to, then you
are likely a contributor. If you got your degree and now feel the world owes
you something for the rest of your life, then you are likely a detractor.

If this is prejudice, then so be it.