that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Marchant) writes:
> It also says, "894 instructions (668 implemented entirely in hardware)"
>
> The latest POO lists about 750 instructions.  I know that there are a few not
> listed in the POO.  Still, it sounds like it's a lot over 50.

as per past discussions re the architecture "red book" (i.e. cms script
file where command line option would print the full machine architecture
or just the POO subset, full machine architecture was distributed in red
3ring binders) and compare&swap instruction
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#smp

getting an instruction added could require a lot of justification.

so one way of parsing of the reference to 50+ added instructions to
improve compiled code efficiency ... could be referring to over 50 of
the added instructions were justified for improving compiled code
efficiency (w/o saying anything at all about the total number of added
instructions and/or what was the justification for any of the other
added instructions).