On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 14:07:25 -0600 Ed Gould <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>On Jan 31, 2008, at 7:45 AM, Mark H. Young wrote:

:>> ---------------SNIP-----------------------------
:>> NO, I meant "level 2 support" like IBM and OTHER vendors (OEM) have
:>> THEIR
:>> level 2 support (which is usually the developers, or AT LEAST some
:>> coders).
:>> Vendors' help desk is level one support, who you call in to or who
:>> read your
:>> problem ticket for the first time, and then you go to LEVEL 2.

:>a *LONG*  time ago early 1990's I interviewed for a job out in
:>California that was well to say the least different. This was a
:>systems programmer job that was at a data center that worked with top
:>secret data. You were expected to debug vendor code yet not talk with
:>the vendor. I asked for details and they basically said you were
:>expected to find the bug and fix it yourself without calling the
:>vendor (even IBM). I practically ran from the job.

Well, back when I was starting SP'ing (Western Electric), slightly earlier
than your time frame, that was the job.

You first figured out the bug, and then reported it to the vendor. There
wasn't as much hand holding as nowadays. You were expected to do most of the
research yourself.

Of course, nowadays with OCO and no fiche, this would be a bit harder.

--
Binyamin Dissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.dissensoftware.com