On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 08:21:34 -0500 "Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>Long ago in a galaxy far away, IBM introduced the concept of resumeable
:>instructions; an interrupt could occur in the middle of the instruction
:>execution and the instruction would continue properly after a normal
:>dispatch. It appears that CLCL and MVCL were not only the first such long
:>instructions but also the last. Subsequent long instructions have required
:>testing the condition code to see whether the instruction had been
:>interrupted in media res. Superficially that seems like extraneous
:>overhead. Can anybody cast any light on why IBM went that way?

I think it is because these storage to storage operations can take so long to
execute, so long that the CPU would assume a problem and go into a check-stop.

--
Binyamin Dissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.dissensoftware.com