Tom,

What you and others have said here has really got me thinking.  It's
been about 20 years since I was really an MVS System Programmer getting
into the bowels of the operating system.  I've been a performance tuner
and now a capacity planner for many years.  However, what has been said
here about the variability of CPU time seems to through all my ideas
about capacity planning and charge back algorithms out the window.  If
the CPU usage is that variable how can one relate the usage of CPU
within a given application back to business units, which I'm constantly
trying to do?  Also, how does one change equitable for CPU utilization
if it can vary so much just because there might be a cache miss caused
by an interrupt that is not necessarily the fault of the executing
program?  The shop I'm in now is fairly small with a z9BC of 1004 MIPS
and just 3 LPARs.  We aren't SYSplexed (no CF) and there isn't even a
shared JES spool, but there is shared DASD.  Maybe it's the relative
simplicity of the shop, but I've found CPU times to be pretty
consistent.

Tom Kelman
Commerce Bank of Kansas City
(816) 760-7632

Dedicated
> LPARs can remove those types of interrupts. But this is exactly the
> point: the job mix on this LPAR and other processors can and do affect
> CPU times significantly.
>
> Another fact not well understood is the magnitude of performance
> degradation when a cache miss occurs. Bob Rogers at the last SHARE
> mentioned that while cache misses in first and second-level caches
were
> not too bad, cache misses that resulted in actual references to memory
> could be as much as 600 times slower. His comment: It's almost like
> doing an I/O to reference main storage compared to getting a hit in
> first-level cache.
>
> You may want to read up on this in the IBM systems journal:
>
> http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd51-12.html
>
> Tom Harper
> IMS Utilities Development Team
> Neon Enterprise Software
> Sugar Land, TX
>
> Tom Kelman wrote:
>
> Am I missing something here?  Miklos is asking about the difference in
> CPU time between two runs of the same job step.  I would think that if
> the same program was processing the same data in the same way the CPU
> time should be close to consistent.  Maybe not exactly the same but
> there shouldn't be "several times another".  Now the elapsed time
could
> vary widely depending on the contentions that Tom has mentioned above.
>

> Tom Kelman
> Commerce Bank of Kansas City
> (816) 760-7632

If you wish to communicate securely with Commerce Bank and its
affiliates, you must log into your account under Online Services at
http://www.commercebank.com or use the Commerce Bank Secure
Email Message Center at https://securemail.commercebank.com

confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the
individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing,
retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message
or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please
advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments
and any copies of this message from your computer system.